MTU engines/ marine MTU Friedrichshafen GmbH is a manufacturer of commercial engines. It was a subsidiary of DAIMLER CHRYSLER until 2006 when it was sold off to the EQT IV private equity fund. Roughly translated from the German MTU stands for "Motor (Engine) and Turbine Union". The company was founded in 1909 as LUFT HARZUG, MOTORENBAU GmbH within the Zeppelin Corporation. After the end of the first World War the company began to manufacuture car engines under the name of MAYBACH MOTOR & MOTORENBAU. DAIMLER BENZ acquired the company in 1960 and later merged its aircraft and diesel engine production under the name of MTU Friedrichshafen. The company was paired with Detroit Diesel as DaimlerChrysler's engine division.